Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Iced Tea (synergistic principles don't always apply to drinks)

A common theme that I've noticed with this whole tasting mediocrity endeavor is that the initial mediocre taste has never made me want to stop consuming. In fact, it's always been a feeling of reluctance mixed with curiosity.

I had another experience recently at the Bahama Breeze restaurant at the Cherry Hill Mall in New Jersey. I usually prefer my iced tea unsweetened, although sometimes I decide to be adventurous. I saw this flavor: Pomegranate Green Tea, one of the most unusual blends I'd ever seen, but I liked pomegranate juice and I liked green tea, so why not? I remembered that I had the republic of Tea's Blackberry Sage before; the uniquely-shaped bottle isn't easy to forget. I enjoyed that tea quite a lot. It was also unusual, but the blend was very well done.

I screwed off the cap of this pom infusion and took a sip. I didn't know how to react. I set the bottle back down on the table and paused for a minute. Then, I took another sip. Its flavor was captivating, but not in a particularly enjoyable way.

It was like tasting a dry Gin. When the liquid splashes against your tongue it feels as though there's nothing there, but your senses still capture the aroma. Well, it was like that, except quite opposite. The liquid was there alright, but the aroma sure wasn't. In fact, the flavor was quite bland. You would think that pomegranate green tea would be incredibly complex, but it wasn't, and I have a theory that will blow your mind. It was too complex. Yes, TOO complex. Congrats, Republic of Tea. You just took two very complex flavors, and I am sure a helluva lot of artificial, produced-in-a-lab flavors and created something that was just overly complex. The plethora of flavors combined into one robust scent of superb benignity. Yet, continuing with the theme of the blog, it was not terrible.

Maybe it was the slight sympathy I felt for the Replublic of Tea for trying so hard to make something wonderful (and failing miserably) that has prevented this drink from falling below mediocre on my scale. Maybe it's the never-before-experienced flavor, albeit not that good of one, that has me at the back of the crowd giving a golf clap for this bizarre concoction. So I say, give this drink a try. It will amaze you, but it sure won't leave you begging for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment