Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Introductions

Have you ever experienced something that gave you a feeling nearly perfectly in-between dissatisfaction and pleasure, but with a slight sway negative? I'm referring to something profoundly intermediate, something that you cannot say has quality and yet that you cannot say is significantly inferior? This, I call mediocrity. While these first few words might seem rather moving, I have no intention of pursuing mediocrity; I try to set my standards slightly higher than that. However, this blog now exists because I have truly experienced mediocrity and thus desire to write about it. You would not expect something that we would consider just OK, to have a strong feeling associated with it, and yet, I will occasionally have such experiences, ones that leave with you neither a sense of discontent nor gratification. Mediocrity can be a difficult word to define, because it refers to quality that is in-between or so-so, but maybe pitched slightly to the lower end, which makes it such a difficult feeling to pinpoint. It comes to this, then, that I decide to describe a couple of these experiences by example: quintessential examples, at that, of mediocrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment